Here's a way to make a few bucks and get that old energy-hungry fridge out of your basement. From coolturnin.com,
Did you know your second refrigerator or freezer costs up to $150 a year to run? Why not save that money and spend it on something you really enjoy. Recycle that old second refrigerator or freezer in your garage or basement. We'll pick it up for free and give you a $50 rebate. You'll save energy, money and help keep these materials out of landfills and recycled into new products.
To qualify you must be a National Grid electric customer in Massachusetts or Rhode Island and own the units for pick-up. In addition, your refrigerator or freezer must be:
- Between 10 and 30 cubic feet using inside measurements.
- For refrigerators, must be the second refrigerator and not the primary refrigerator.
- Clean, empty and in working order at the time of pick-up.
- Accessible with a clear path for removal by contractor*.
*The $50 rebate is available for a limited time through November 30, 2009.
December 1-31, 2009, receive a $30 rebate for recycling a second fridge or freezer.
Each participating household is limited to pick-up and rebates for two units. The refrigerator or freezer must be picked up at your National Grid electric service address.
Enroll online below or call 1-877-545-4113 to schedule a pickup.
* National Grid has contracted with JACO Environmental to collect and recycle refrigerators and freezers.